Hope..

Hope..

Monday, September 12, 2005

The big question,,,,,

“That was a moment.....a moment that i wanted to keep with me forever,locked in my mind,my memory,unscathed by the harsh realities of the life,locked away.
No other way to do so except in dream and then sleep, and die in sleep - for eternity.Wouldnt all this be mine for eternity then? And to experience the full joy of reliving that splendour, again and again, if not in reality than in dream.
And then, I wanted to die – beautifully and pleasantly without pain, among the flowers and the beauty and with you in my dreams…..”
I wonder at times, what is love? Is it a lifelong treasure “worth trying and dying for”,worth the pain that comes with it, worth the anxiety that it entails, worth the tears in return for a few moments of bliss! Have been thinking hard, how many have been lucky enough to prolong these moments of bliss to an entire lifetime.It sure needs a lot of trust, faith, patience, perseverance and of course lots and lots of real love. I always thought that more often than not, people were more in love with the idea of being in love, something that the world claims as a truly joyous state when you lose the sense of your self & try & claim your identity in the company of your other half, or better still, your better half. A perfect conglomeration of eternal blessing, perfect compatibility and carnal pleasures: the delving with passions and yet the purity of soul emphasized through the union of bodies expressing their love.
That brings me back to the same old question haunting me….what about the people who could not be lucky enough to have their love culminating in marriage? Who could not have the “eternal blessing” and the societal approval? Was their love a farce? Who decides the truth of a relationship, the authenticity and the genuineness of feelings involved? Its really strange how something like love that just happens without an effort, without trying to do so, which involves something as intangible as feelings and emotions is eventually judged by the norms of society and the social customs like caste, social status, religion, race, nationality and innumerable other factors. The one who overlooks and overrides these hurdles faces the threat of being branded as selfish,insensitive and a social outcaste. The one who doesn’t, has no option but to live a life of hypocrisy claiming that “my love was pure and true but I’m a responsible person, have my responsibilities to the society, my parents” and so on. The real me cant forget my love but the “responsible” me will live loving my wife and family ‘cos that’s what I must do and that’s what is expected of me.
Ahhh! The debate goes on forever and ever. Has been on since the time of Romeo-Juliet, Heer- Ranjha, Laila-Majnu and a lot more like them.If society couldn’t find an answer to these, who am I?Why did I even attempt to dabble with the topic? They died, leaving behind the stories of their eternal love, sacrificed at the altar of larger causes and larger issues under operation. The trend will go on. A consolation for such people in love,who think their love will live on forever is this song from “Kisna” …
‘Hum hain iss pal yahan, jaane ho kal kahan…….’
- Claiming that neither does love die nor can it be destroyed, but it lives forever and ever…
So people out there, just love each other, without any more expectations or hopes; cos if nothing ,then at least your story will be a part of the “museum of love” till eternity!

No comments: